There are many things that can be said about breathing for relaxation. The most important thing to remember is that everyone is different and what works for one person, may not work for another. That being said, there are some general tips that can be useful for anyone looking to use breathing as a means of relaxation.
- Make sure that you are in a comfortable position. This may mean lying down, sitting up, or even standing. Whatever position you choose, make sure that your spine is straight and that your muscles are relaxed.
- Close your eyes and begin to focus on your breath. Pay attention to the way that your chest rises and falls with each inhale and exhale.
- Slowly start to deepen your breath, taking in more air with each inhale. As you do this, you should feel your stomach expand.
- Once you have reached a comfortable depth of breath, begin to count each inhale and exhale. Start with a count of four and then move up to eight.
- If at any point you find yourself getting anxious or stressed, simply return to your breath and focus on the counting. This will help to center you and bring you back to a state of relaxation.
- Once you have reached the end of your count, slowly begin to exhale for twice as long as you inhaled. For example, if you inhaled for a count of four, exhale for a count of eight.
- Continue this pattern of breathing until you feel yourself starting to relax. You may find that your mind begins to wander, but that is perfectly normal. Simply return your focus to your breath and continue counting.
- When you feel ready, slowly begin to increase the length of your inhales and exhales. For example, you may start with a count of four and then move up to six.
- Once you have reached a comfortable depth of breath, hold it for a moment before exhaling. This will help to oxygenate your blood and further relax your mind and body.
- Finally, when you are ready, slowly open your eyes and allow yourself to return to the world around you. Take a few moments to notice how you feel and then gently get up and continue with your day.
Breathing is a simple yet powerful tool that can be used for relaxation. By following the tips above, you can quickly and easily begin to experience the benefits of this age-old practice. So, next time you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed, take a few minutes to focus on your breath and see how much better you feel.